More Than Half a Billion Dollars in Emergency Funds Available for Pennsylvania Schools

More Than Half a Billion Dollars in Emergency Funds Available for Pennsylvania Schools

May 27, 2020

Up to $523 million in emergency education funding is now available for Pennsylvania’s public schools, charter schools, and education agencies through the CARES Act. “At least 90% of the money, or $471 million, is to be awarded to traditional public schools and charter schools. Each entity is to receive an amount proportional to federal Title I-A funds received in 2019 under the Every Student Succeeds Act.” The remaining 10 percent is allocated for the state Education Department to address issues arising from the COVID-19 pandemic, including remote learning. Funds can be used for a wide range of projects and services, including “food service, professional training, technology purchases, sanitizing and cleaning supplies, summer and after-school programs, and mental health supports,” and all funds must be used by September 2022.